Travels with a Rogue

A small piece of the web dedicated to Gen. Mikhail Skobolev (the White General), toy soldiers (any period), history, politics and books circa. 1850-1900.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Frederick, Maryland, United States

There was an earlier day in my life when I had plenty of time and no money for my hobby, now I have money for my hobby and not so much time. I never stopped playing with toy soldiers "much to my mothers chagrin" exchanging the sandbox, green armymen and rocks for Donald Featherstone's book Wargames, AWI soldiers from the back of a comic book, dice and rulers. Those early games were great fun and very exciting. Eventually I graduated to more complicated systems, better miniatures, headaches, rule arguments and basically not a lot of fun. I thought about ditching the hobby altogether. I realized recently that I like a good game of toy soldiers. I like the look of toy soldiers and I like the way a simple game plays. I like the trusty d6.

Monday, November 13, 2006

An Update with photos!


My wife is fascinated by the hobby and the processes that I have developed for completing my regiments. To that end here are a few shots of Work In Process. I have finished these units although I need to gloss coat them and take some completed shots and post them here! So these are photos of 2 regiments of Russian Rifles and 1 regiment of Turks in process. BTW-the shirt is a shameless plug for the OSW group!

Here I am applying regular drywall paste to the base of a 42mm soldier. You can't actually see him; however, there is a Russian rifleman waiting his turn sitting on the table. I have a solid card table that I set up in the living room and while watching the NFL (Go Ravens!) or a movie with the family I can clean, base and putty my figures. Priming is done downstairs in the heat of summer or chill of winter and outside on those nice spring or fall days that have low humidity.

The next photo is of the drywall paste being applied. I use a sculpting spatula and apply the compound on generously; then remove any excess while smoothing the finish. The entire process takes a few minutes per model and when painted gives the miniature the toy soldier style that I'm looking for. Wax paper is used to protect the card table and to keep the miniatures from sticking to the clipboard after they are glued to their bases. I am using 1inch fender washers as bases for this project and super glue gel as the adhesive.



Next we have the finished figure being set with his comrades to await priming. On the clipboard are 2 Regiments of Rifles and in the background a Regiment of Turkish soldiers. I keep most of my projects on clipboards, they are easy to store on a shelf and make moving the projects around very simple.

The photo below is my painting table in a corner of the dinning/project room. It's very nice to have a wife and family that don't religate me and my hobby to the basement or some other room. It's much easier for me to work on projects during family television time and know that I'm still part of what's happening.

On the shelf to my right is my next project. I should finish (well the first part of it anyways--do we ever really finish toy soldier projects?) my RTW project sometime in May/June 07 time frame. Next on the table is 25mm SYW using RSM95's primarily. I will probably augment that with a few Musketeer Miniatures GNW battalions as well. Anyway click on the photo to enlarge and you'll see a handful of Vulgarians on the shelf watching my painting with interest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home