Travels with a Rogue

A small piece of the web dedicated to Gen. Mikhail Skobolev (the White General), toy soldiers (any period), history, politics and books circa. 1850-1900.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Frederick, Maryland, United States

There was an earlier day in my life when I had plenty of time and no money for my hobby, now I have money for my hobby and not so much time. I never stopped playing with toy soldiers "much to my mothers chagrin" exchanging the sandbox, green armymen and rocks for Donald Featherstone's book Wargames, AWI soldiers from the back of a comic book, dice and rulers. Those early games were great fun and very exciting. Eventually I graduated to more complicated systems, better miniatures, headaches, rule arguments and basically not a lot of fun. I thought about ditching the hobby altogether. I realized recently that I like a good game of toy soldiers. I like the look of toy soldiers and I like the way a simple game plays. I like the trusty d6.

Monday, November 13, 2006

Eureka Toy Soldiers for my Nephew!


When should you start someone out in that grandest of hobbies; collecting toy soldiers? I'm not sure I've got an answer for that; however, Eureka Miniatures has made it a lot easier to give the gift of toy soldiers to younger children. My nephew is almost 2 years old, he is certainly too young to play with lead soldiers. He is easily old enough to receive his first set for display though. At Historicon06 I noticed a new line of toy soldier style toy soldiers from Eureka Minis, Nic Robson and crew. I purchased a few with the idea of painting and giving them as gifts. They are lovely castings, very cleanly cast and pleasant to paint. Eureka has cast a nice variety with Guns, Crews, Infantry, Cavalry and Generals all currently available. I thought a regiment per year at Christmas and one at Birthdays would make nice gifts for the next few years; plus the occasional set for no good reason. By the time Jordan is old enough to play with them he should have two very nice little forces of toys. I can offer you a link to the Eureka webpage although I'm unable to find these fellows listed.

http://eurekamin.com.au/

In this range are figures for two separate armies, infantry in either bearskin or shako and cavalry in either helmet or shako. The are all about 40mm in height.

To view some painted Eureka Teddy Bears for my niece (shhhh it's a surprise) visit my other blog! I know it's shameless cross posting to my own blogs!

http://electorateofvulgaria.blogspot.com/

Here's a close up of the infantryman (front and back) in shako and regimental musician. I thought about reverse colors for the musician and instead decided that I'll make each regiment a different color. I think they look a little more like toy soldiers if all of the men of a regiment are dressed in the same colors. The "J" on the shako front is for my nephew Jordan.

A close up of the regimental commander and the standard bearer. I think simple colors and a simple paint job really make these fellows pop.

A close up of the unit flag. I wanted something that would appeal to young collector, thus the smiley face surrounded by laurel and my nephews name to add a personal touch.

After painting them I used a heavy gloss coat. I suspect they will get heavy wear and gloss easily out lasts matte. More importantly they are toy soldiers so it's only proper that they be glossed.

I enjoyed painting these fellows and I'm looking forward to a few years from now when we can sit and play a nice game of toy soldiers together. I also hope that they serve to generate some interest in the hobby. With this line of toys available it's never too early to start recruiting toy soldier enthusiasts! Great job Nic and Eureka!


2 Comments:

Blogger Bloggerator said...

Excellent toy soldiers Donald. Very handsome.

Regards,

Greg

November 13, 2006 6:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great idea, incouraged me to get some for my twin boys...its there birthday in 5 weeks so I'd better get painting them up. Love the colours you used.

March 12, 2007 9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home